Some rules and a lot of care for your child are what Delta seeks while offering the unaccompanied minor policy. You can board your minor with us, and relax that your kid is in safe hands. Our Delta unaccompanied minor policy is inclusive and covers all the security procedures for your child, while he or she is with us on board.
If your kid is less than 5 years, then they cannot travel as unaccompanied minors in any case.
Delta Unaccompanied Minor Policy – Important Things to Know!
When you are sending kids to travel alone, there is a requirement Age for Unaccompanied Minor on Delta Airlines. Besides, there are also some additional rules. Given below are some unaccompanied minor policies of Delta for your reference:
- Firstly, the Unaccompanied Minor program is eligible for children whose age varies from 5-14 years and is travelling with a person whose age is 18 or more than that.
- 4 years and younger are not allowed as solo flyers on Delta airlines.
- When it comes to Delta unaccompanied minor fee, 5-7 years can travel on non-stop flights, but their fee is $150 for each trip. Not more than 4 can board at one time.
- When it comes to Delta unaccompanied minor fee, you have to pay a certain amount to make your child fly alone.
- Kids between 8-14 years, may travel on nonstop and connecting flights.
- If the child is between 15-17 years, they can travel without enrolling in this program.
- Make sure to prepare your child in advance for the flight.
The above Delta unaccompanied minor policy is compulsory, and to make sure your child is safe Delta airlines minor policy offers what’s best is possible. This is for your child’s safety and comfort.
How much is the unaccompanied minor fee on Delta?
Delta Airlines charges some fees to take your children on the flight. The flight attendants will take care of your kid throughout the flight and bring them safely to their destinations.
- The unaccompanied minor fee for your child is USD/CAD/EUR 150 each way on nonstop and connecting flights.
- This fee is an additional charge to the ticketed adult fare.
- Moreover, the unaccompanied minor fee is compulsory for booking tickets for kids aged 5-14.
- This fee will cover up to 4 kids traveling together.
- You can either pay the fee in advance by calling the airline or at the time of check-in. Moreover, you can pay the unaccompanied minor fee one-way or round-trip.
How to Book the Delta Unaccompanied Minor Travel Program?
As per the Delta unaccompanied minor policy, you can confirm your child’s booking by calling the airline. Connect with the “Reservations” desk to determine eligibility and reserve flight tickets. Give a call at 800-325-8847 to make sure that your kid’s travel is correctly documented for a hassle-free experience. While booking, you will get a 4-digit PIN configuration to make any changes to your itinerary.
Get in touch with the airline representative, and clear all your doubts regarding this policy. The assigned agent will assist you immediately so you can complete the booking procedure quickly.
What Documents Do I Need To Carry For an Unaccompanied Minor?
When you visit the airport, you need to visit the pickup and drop station of your unaccompanied minor. There your kid will be given a wristband to wear, through which you can track his or her movement. After that, the documentation for check-in will be started, where you need to carry the following documents of your unaccompanied minor:
- An id with a photo, such as, a passport, license, etc.
- Address proof, as similar in photo id.
- A working and genuine contact number to connect in an emergency.
- The name, address, and phone number of the adult that will receive/accompany your minor at the destination airport.
While making a Delta Airlines booking for your unaccompanied minor, you need to instruct your kid for safety and his/her needs. They should only talk and ask for help from a Delta executive at the airport or in the cabin.
What Are the Additional Things to Keep in Mind?
Assuring your child’s safety is a priority, and following the safety manual by parents is what we want. At Delta airlines we recommend certain tips that you should tell your kids before they board Delta airlines. Given below are those tips:
Rules for Unaccompanied Minors on Delta
- Tell your kids to talk only, to a Delta executive at the airport and the cabin for any sort of help.
- Remind them, not to leave the gate area, until any Delta official arrives.
- Tell your kids to carry certain books, entertainment stuff, and snacks with them while traveling.
- Tell them to carry a single or carry-on backpack bag, so that nothing is left behind.
- There should be an id card and address proof attached to your kid’s bag for their identity.
- A big checked suitcase, that can easily be carried by your kid and the adult that will be accompanying them after their flight.
- Your kid is offered trackable wristbands that help you to navigate your kid’s movement and activities.
- These minors are eligible for both international and domestic flights.
- Don’t worry, because there is a dedicated Delta official assigned for your kid. The Delta official accompanies your minor, throughout the flight for taking care of and keeping your child out of boredom.
- There is an allocated sky zone lounge for kids at Delta airlines, to keep your kiddos busy. They can interact and play in the sky zone lounge in their leisure time.
Make sure that your kid knows and follows these tips much before, right from the time of Delta reservation.
Minors Traveling Without a Parent Onboard
Minors traveling without a parent onboard with Delta, also known as unaccompanied minors, will receive special assistance and care from Delta staff throughout their journey. Delta offers an Unaccompanied Minor service for children aged 5 to 14, which includes a dedicated escort to help them navigate the airport, board their flight, and connect to their connecting flights if necessary. During the flight, the child will be seated in a designated area near the flight attendant station, and Delta staff will ensure their safety and comfort throughout the journey. Parents or guardians will also be provided with regular updates on their child’s travel status.
If you still have queries regarding this process, you can visit the official website of Delta airlines and request a call back service to talk to a Delta representative. But in some cases, the parents get furious about their child’s safety and ask a question How do I contact the Delta Airlines live person? The answer is simple, as you can find Delta’s Customer service number i.e. 18002211212 at the official site of Delta. If you do not wish to call on the number, you can chat with a Delta representative about Delta unaccompanied minor policy. Visit Delta Airlines for chat service.
Age Requirement for Unaccompanied Minor on Delta Airlines
Before making a booking for your child, it is necessary to go through the age requirement. You should know whether your kid is eligible for the unaccompanied minor policy or not.
- 4 years and younger – They can’t avail this facility. These kids should need to travel with adult passengers.
- 5-7 years of age – Children between 5 and 7 years can travel through the unaccompanied minor policy. But they can only travel on direct flights. They can’t fly on connecting flights.
- 8-14 years of age – Kids of this age can fly on both nonstop and connecting flights. Book your kids’ tickets in advance to avoid any hassle at the airport.
- 15-17 years of age – Kids between 15 and 17 years can travel alone without enrolling in this program. However, they can avail this facility if their parents want to.
What are Delta Unaccompanied Minor Travel Guidelines?
If your kid is going to fly alone for the first time, then you should know how to prepare him/ her for the journey. Let’s check out the process to help your kid have a smooth travel experience.
Booking Flight Tickets
Firstly, you need to confirm the flight reservation for your child. For this, you have to call the airline’s phone number. Moreover, you have to pay an extra fee in addition to the adult flight fare. Share your kids’ details, and the Delta representative will confirm the flight reservation instantly. Tell the agent in advance if your child has any special needs.
Getting Ready for the Flight
When it comes to flying alone, you must prepare your kid for the journey in advance. When packing, you should pack-
- Games, snacks, books, or other entertainment
- A small carry-on bag for all essentials
- A checked suitcase for larger items that has to be picked up by an adult.
- Contact information and ID card.
Needed Check-in Documents
Meet the Delta representative after arriving at the airport. The agent will give you a wristband that the kids have to wear throughout the flight. Create a package of important documents and an ID card for your child. During the check-in, provide the following-
- Contact phone number
- Address (as shown on ID)
- Photo ID (license, passport, etc.)
- Details of the adult coming to pick up the kid at the destination airport.
Child’s Boarding & Takeoff
The adult accompanying the kid will take them to the departure gate. Adults should be with kids until the flight takes off. If your kid is on a connecting flight, one of the Delta representatives will assist them, and take them to the next flight. Moreover, kids will be seated in the rear of the flight so that one of the flight attendants can stay with them throughout the flight.
Delta Sky Zone
Children who have a connecting flight through New York (JFK), Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Los Angeles, Seattle, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Memphis, or Detroit can enjoy the benefits of Delta Sky Zones.
- There are children-only areas at Delta Sky Zones for their entertainment.
- In these areas, kids can relax until its time to board their connecting flights.
- Moreover, they can use complimentary phone calls to call guardians or parents.
- Additionally, they can enjoy activities like video games, toys, and books.
- One of the Delta representatives will always be there with your kid to make him/her feel comfortable.
The person who will come to pick up the kid at the airport must show a valid ID. Delta Airlines will not release your kid to anyone other than the person you have mentioned during booking or check-in. An accompanying adult should come to the destination airport two hours before the scheduled flight departure to get a gate pass. Please keep in mind that-
- Call Delta Airlines in advance if the accompanying person at the airport changes. Talk to the airline agent and provide the new information.
- If another accompanying minor is available at the destination airport, the Delta representative will connect with the original accompanying adult. He will then verify the identification of the pickup person before releasing the child.
- The accompanying adult should remain at the gate until the flight arrives.
- Moreover, he or she must have a gate pass to pick up the kid.
Check out the Delta ID Requirements for Minors before anything else and confirm the perfect vacation for them alone.
Can I Avoid Delta Unaccompanied Minor Fees?
Children from 15 to 17 years can travel alone on Delta flights without enrolling in this program. They don’t need to use the unaccompanied minor service. However, their accompanying adults will not get a gate pass if they are not availing this facility. To use the unaccompanied minor service, there will be a $150 service fee in addition to the original fare.
Another way to avoid this Delta unaccompanied minor fee is using a travel credit card. Get the Amex Platinum and utilize the $200 airline credit. Use these credits to pay a service fee for an unaccompanied minor.
How do Unaccompanied Minor Flights Work?
Worried about your child’s safety because he or she is traveling alone for the first time? Fret not because Delta has a comprehensive policy for children traveling alone. Firstly, you need to make a booking for your ticket. Get in touch with the Delta representative, and check out the eligibility. As per the Delta unaccompanied minor policy, you have to book your kid’s ticket over the call. After that, you have to prepare your kid for the flight.
As soon as you complete the check-in, your kid will be introduced to a Delta flight attendant. He or she will be then taken on the flight. Moreover, one of the attendants will always be with the kids throughout the flight. After that, the flight attendant will meet the accompanying minor at the airport. Once the details are verified, the accompanying minor can take the child with him or her.
What Happens After Boarding the Flight?
Even before the general boarding begins, one of the Delta Airlines representatives will take your child onboard. This will help him to-
- Familiarize your kid with the cockpit crew.
- Introduce your child to the Delta flight attendants.
- Take your kid to his or her seat.
- Assist your kid with carry-on items.
- Make your child aware of the aircraft’s safety features.
- Show your child the lavatory locations.
- Comfort your child so that he or she can call the attendants if needed.
What Happens If An Unaccompanied Minor Flight Is Canceled Or Delayed?
If the airline agents have any indication that the scheduled flight will not be departed on time, they will contact you. The airline agents suggest booking flight tickets on some other day in that situation. However, if the kids’ flights are canceled or delayed en route, Delta Airlines employees will-
- Rebook kids tickets on the alternative flight to their selected destination.
- Moreover, the employees will stay with the kids until they board the alternative flight.
- Delta employees will also contact the person at the destination airport to inform them about the situation.
If an overnight stay is required due to any circumstances, then the airline will provide accommodations and meal facilities to children. Moreover, one of the Delta employees will provide supervision during an overnight stay. The travel agents of Delta will make sure that your child stays safe throughout their journey. If any unusual circumstances occur, the airline executive will connect you immediately with relevant information.
In a Nutshell, Delta’s Unaccompanied Minor Policy Goes as Follows:
|Age Restrictions||Unaccompanied Minor service|
|4 yrs||Can’t travel alone/only with 18 yrs or older travelers|
|5 yrs to 7 yrs||Can take Unaccompanied minor travel policy for direct flights|
|8 yrs to 14 years||Allowed on both nonstop and connecting flights|
|15-17||Taking this service is optional|
In addition to this a fee of 150 USD is compulsory to pay for any passenger if availing this service, along with the ticket fare.
What are the country’s specific regulations for unaccounted minors?
Various countries have set up certain rules and regulations associated with the travel of unaccompanied minors. These are made in order to make the travel of your children safe. So, the parents or guardians need to know the rules as per the destination they are going to make bookings for.
Here are the restrictions and requirements laid down by various countries-
Traveling from Brazil
According to Brazilian legislation, children under the age of 18 who are not traveling with their guardians and parents need to present some additional documents at the time of departure from Brazil. Furthermore, this rule is applicable for minors who hold dual citizenship, ones with Brazilian citizenship, and for non-Brazilian citizens.
Travel to or from the Dominican Republic
The citizens of the Dominican Republic citizens and legal residents aged below 18 who are traveling without parents or legal guardians need to have a minor travel permit in order to exit the country.
Moreover, this rule applies to people who have stayed at this destination for less than 6 months.
Traveling from Italy
The unaccompanied minors who hold citizenship of Italy and are under the age of 14 need to have the following documents for having the international trip-
- Individual passport
- Dichiarazione di accompagno duly authorized by the Police Authority
Travel from to/from Mexico
All travelers under the age of 18 traveling without their parents or guardians to or from Mexico need to carry a notarized letter. This letter must have authorization from the parents and is in Spanish. In case this is not provided, the entry will not be allowed.
Travel to and from South Africa
Individuals traveling to and from Africa must present certain documents to enter or leave South Africa.
Who will transfer my child if I book a connecting flight?
A specific employee will be given the responsibility to transfer your child. In case the child’s connection time is short, then the travel expert of Delta Airlines will take your kid to the connecting departure. They will be there until they get the boarding completed.
On the contrary, in case the layover of your child is of a long time period, then the unaccompanied minor escort will take the child to the Delta sky zone or the location that is made for waiting.
Once the waiting period is over, the travel expert will hand over the child to another representative. Finally, they will take the little one to the connecting flight at the right time.
Then they would hand him or her to the flight attendant and make their travel a hassle-free experience.
The Delta Airlines unaccompanied minor travel policy is available on flights to and from the USA, but remember the age restrictions and other travel requirements before booking. Not all age kids are allowed on international flights. For more details, consult a Delta airlines expert for assistance, or get in touch with our expert team.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a 14 year old fly unaccompanied on Delta?
What is Delta’s policy on unaccompanied minors?
What age can minors fly alone on Delta?
What is Delta’s unaccompanied minor policy?
What if my kid’s flight is delayed or canceled?
- The airline will rebook your child on the next flight.
- A Delta representative will stay with your kid until he or she boards the flight.
- Moreover, the airline representative will connect with the person who is going to pick up your child at the destination airport.
- If, in rare cases, it is an overnight stay, the airline will provide your child with overnight accommodations and meals. Moreover, the airline representative will supervise your kid during the stay.
My kid’s age is 14 can he fly on Delta Airlines?
What is the unaccompanied minor fee of Delta?
Does Delta need a birth certificate as an ID to book an unaccompanied minor?
How do I book Delta unaccompanied minor?
Can a 12-year-old fly alone on Delta?
How old does a child have to be to fly alone on Delta?
Can Delta keep my child seat away from me?
How can I avoid my unaccompanied minor fee at Delta airlines?
What documents do minors need to fly on Delta?
- Contact phone number
- Photo ID (license, passport, etc.)
- Address (as shown on ID)
- Details of the adult meeting the unaccompanied minor at the destination airport